Hello everybody, welcome to our recipe page, if you're looking for Steamed Buns recipe, look no further! We provide you only the perfect Steamed Buns recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Steamed Buns recipe, you may want to read this short interesting tips about Cooking Basics for Newbies .
Once it comes to cooking, it is important to take into account that every one started somewhere. I do not know of one person who was born with a wooden cooking spoon and ready to go. There is a good deal of learning that must be done as a way to be a prolific cook and there is always room for advancement. Not only do you need to start with the basics when it comes to cooking however you almost should start after learning to cook a new cuisine such as Chinese, Thai, or Indian food.
The first thing which you need to learn is the different terminology you may discover in recipes actually means. There are many fresh and at times foreign sounding terms that you will see in recipes that are common. These terms can mean the gap in recipe success or failure. You need to find a way to discover a good section in virtually any inclusive cookbook which explains different definitions for unfamiliar terminology. If you’re not absolutely sure what is meant by"folding into the eggs" it really is in your best interests to look it up.
You will also detect as your experience and confidence develops that you will see yourself more and more usually improvising while you proceed and adjusting meals to fulfill your own individual preferences. If you’d like more or less of ingredients or wish to create a recipe somewhat less or more hot in flavor that can be made simple alterations along the way in order to attain this goal. Quite simply you will begin punctually to create recipes of your individual. And that is something which you may not necessarily learn when it comes to basic cooking skills for beginners however, you would never know if you didn’t master those basic cooking abilities.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to steamed buns recipe. You can cook steamed buns using 27 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
The ingredients needed to prepare Steamed Buns:
- Use A. For the buns
- You need 265 ml water
- Prepare 25 ml vegetable/corn oil
- Use 50 g sugar (1/4 c)
- Prepare 500 g any low protein flour (7-9%)
- Take 1 1/4 tsp double acting baking powder
- You need 1 1/4 tsp dry instant yeast
- Take B. Filling 1 - vegetarian
- Take 400 g bok choy - finely chopped
- Use (Mix with 1/4 tsp of fine salt)
- Prepare 100 g fresh shiitake mushrooms
- Get (Washed. Drained. Finely chopped)
- Provide 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Take 3 tbsp sesame oil
- Get Dash ground white pepper
- Get to taste Salt or chicken cube/granules
- Get B. Filling 2 - chicken char siu
- Provide 350 g (or more) chopped chicken char siu
- Use (Char Siu recipe on previous post)
- Take 3 tbsp finely chopped yellow onion
- You need 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Use 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- Use 3 tbsp corn flour + 3 tbsp water
- Get 2 tbsp castor sugar
- Provide 2 tbsp chinese cooking wine
- Take 1 tbsp sesame oil
- You need 1 tbsp dark soy sauce (or 2 tbsp - adjust)
Steps to make Steamed Buns:
- A. For the buns - Place ingredients in A (according to the order listed) into a bread maker. Use dough setting to knead & proof the dough. Note: this recipe here uses chicken char siu as filling; authentic taste of hawkers/restaurants steamed buns.
- If Bread Maker is Not Available, knead dough by hand. Combine flour, baking powder, yeast, sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk dry ingredients until well mixed. Make a well in the flour mixture, add water & oil. Mix well & knead to form a dough. Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until an elastic and smooth dough is formed (around 15-20mins). Then let rise for 1 hour.
- B. Filling 1. Vegetarian - combine the finely chopped bok choy with 1/4 tsp of salt. Allow to sit for 15mins at room temperature. Then divide it into 3-4 batches. Place each batch in the middle of a large muslin cloth & squeeze out its water content. Discard water or use this Pok choy water can be used to make green buns. Repeat the same with the remaining portions of the bok choy. Mix the rest of the filling ingredients into the squeezed bok choy until combined. Set aside.
- B. Filling 2. chicken char siu - in a frying pan, heat up cooking oil, sauté the onion until fragrant. Add chopped char siu & stir fry for 1-2mins until well mixed. Add in cooking wine, oyster sauce, sesame oil, sugar, dark soy sauce. Stir to mix for few minutes. Add corn flour mixture. Mix until well combined and all turn thick & sticky. Taste filling & adjust accordingly but do not worry about strong seasoning as buns are plain in taste.
- Note: this recipe yields 16 small buns. When the dough is ready, divide into 16 portions. Each weighing around 50g. Flatten each dough. Wrap 1-2 tbsp of filling inside each rolled dough. Repeat the rolling & wrapping steps with the rest of the dough & filling. wrap each bun up neatly & lightly shape/roll into round ball. Avoid pressing buns hard when rolling them into smooth balls. Place each bun on each paper cup liner or a small piece of baking paper with its seam sides down.
- Rest the buns in warm mist for 40mins or until the dough look puffy.
- In the meantime, prepare the steamer- set water to boil for steaming later. Steam bun over medium heat for abt 15-20mins until done. The steaming time varies if multiple layers of buns are steamed. The layer that is closest to direct steam will take lesser time to cook (around 15mins). When ready, remove the buns from the steamer & serve warm.
- Left over can be refrigerated or kept in the freezer with cling wrap & cover. Allow buns to cool completely at room temperature before freezing. Wrap each bun in small bag before storing in the freezer. To consume, steam until hot & serve. Alternatively, refrigerated buns can also be microwaved for 15-30sec.
If you find this Steamed Buns recipe useful please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.